We hear it all the time: “I don’t know what to record” or “My life is too boring.” We know the idea of recording snippets of your day-to-day life can feel daunting, but we want to assure you, it takes one second at a time to build a habit and at the end of the year you’ll have time capsule, a snapshot of where you were during this time.
So we put together a list of 100 things that you can capture. Use this for inspiration, follow along exactly, or come back here when you’re in a “second slump.” Not every second needs to be Instagram or wow-worthy. What feels mundane today could be precious to you in the future. And at the end of 365 days, we believe you’ll be glad you stuck with it. Future you will thank you.
Around the House
Whether you’re stuck in quarantine or hiding out from the weather in your jammies, here’s a list of things you can capture without leaving the comfort of your home.
- The calendar
- Making a cup of coffee or tea
- Cooking a meal
- A finished meal, ready to eat
- Making your bed
- Your front door
- Your bedroom door
- The view out every window
- Sitting in your favorite chair
- Watching Netflix or other streaming service
- Lighting your favorite candle
- Your closet
- Your desk
- Playing video games
- Biting something crunchy
- Opening up the mail
- Doing a popular dance move
- Putting on glasses or sunglasses
- Puzzles and board games
When you do venture out into the world, here are a few things you do or capture while you’re out.
- Traffic passing by
- Outdoor chores like raking the leaves or shoveling snow
- Your own feet as you walk
Whether you’ve got a new puppy or you’ve just come across the old neighborhood tomcat, pets provide many folks who use 1SE with some of their most precious moments.
- Walking your pet
- Giving a pet a treat
- A pet doing a trick
- A quiet moment petting or cuddling your pet
- A pet running toward the camera
- Giving your pet a bath
- Remember, pets can also be fish, birds, mice, or a whole host of other animals!
Self-care is important! Don’t under-appreciate the time you take to make your own life better, healthier, and happier.
- Styling your hair
- Brushing your teeth
- Doing homework
- Your favorite outfit
- Working out or exercising
- Measuring your height
Whether you live with them, or are far apart, there are plenty of ways to capture special moments with the people you love.
- Family being family
- Video calls
- Saying “hello!”
- Telling someone you love them
- Giving a hug
- High fives, fist bumps, elbow bumps
- Holding hands
- Silly faces
- Family traditions
- Someone seen through a drinking glass
- Hidden talents (yours or someone else’s!)
- Kids saying something funny
- Kids playing
- A child’s growth chart
Want to really get away from it all? Get out into nature and keep an eye out for these things.
- The moon
- Other wild animals
- The weather
Media and Technology
We’re all part of the giant web of humanity – capture a glimpse of it next time you dive in.
- A news article
- Listening to your favorite song
- Buying something online
- Popular memes or social media posts
- A Tiktok or other video you loved
- Typing something on the computer
- Screenshot a funny or meaningful text
Get artsy with it!
We’re all surrounded by so many things we don’t usually take the time to notice. If we are able look at ordinary things around us in a new way, those things can become really extraordinary.
- Power lines
- Writing your own name
- A scar
- Cars, trucks, or motorcycles
- Zoom in or out on something
- Pan the camera left or right
- Move the camera up or down
- Show off a skill
- Record your own artwork
- Record a personal project
- Do some journaling
- Last but not least, try creating a series over the course of several days. Write down the colors of the spectrum, and try to record something from each of those colors each day. In a few days, you’ll have your own rainbow of experiences!
Header image courtesy of http://diaryofaspanglishgirl.com/
1 Second Everyday is a video journal app. For an in-depth description of what 1SE does and how it came to be, check out the story here.Check us out at 1SE.co and follow us on our social channels here:
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook